Friday, October 31, 2008

More School

After an entire week of caring for sick animals, I returned to Antigua to resume my schooling. That’s what I’ve been doing for the last three weeks, school in the morning and studying in the afternoon. My Spanish is definitely improving. I also got to meet with the two teams of married couples that passed through here on consecutive weeks. I can now say with certainty that I know how to drive to the airport and back. The president of SI, Dave Hansen, and his wife also were here for the two weeks, so I got to meet them for the first time.

Then, Saturday, the day before they left, we all went out to climb the active volca...no, actually, I got sick and stayed in bed all day. But everyone else had a great time evading the lava.

Last Thursday evening, I started to feel not so good. By Friday afternoon I was running a fever, and other things not fit for publishing. Saturday I slept. Saturday evening I felt better and joined the group for a post-volcano pizza party—bad idea. Then there were ups and downs all this week. I finally had a parasite exam yesterday, and the result: lombrices. If you really want the English translation, don’t look it up at mealtime. But, two chewable tablets later I feel great.

Today, I move back out to Magdalena with the Mendez family for two weeks, before three more weeks of school. Then, before I know it, it will be time to go back home to Oregon for Christmas.

Happy All Saint’s Day

No comments: