Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Filter Mold

Today Oscar and I completely finished building our prototype filter mold. I don’t have any photos of the whole thing put together, but here are two interesting photos from the work today.
This one is of me working on smoothing out the corners of the inside part of the mold. The base is also visible, where the pieces for the outer part of the mold will also fit.
This is me demonstrating how the plumbing will go. The tubing will be within the concrete.
Yesterday, I took a trip to Pastores, a town a few miles out of Antigua, to visit another filter-making operation. I wanted to ask them how they keep the tubing from touching the sides of the mold (and thus sticking out of the side of the concrete).
“With a stick and a flashlight,” they told me. “You just have to move the rocks around to push the pipe from side to side as you slowly pour in the concrete.”
I’m hoping that tomorrow we will be able to acquire the materials to pour our first filter container.

1 comment:

The Hansen Family said...

Very cool to see what you are doing!!